Subscribe to Feeds

No matter what happens to you in life, never develop a wounded spirit.

Leadership Costs

This morning I was reading a passage of Scripture in Luke 14 that expresses that there is a cost to following Jesus. As I read this passage of scripture I began to realize that different people and their specific leadership costs things that are the same and that are different.


For example, as I began to think about what costs I have made for the leadership I have been given or called to carry out, I began to realize that not everyone has the same calling. I know what you are thinking...DUH, super DUH Dan. Thank you for overstating the obvious. I am going to re-write this passage of scripture from The Message translation and then explain what I am thinking and pondering.

25-27One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, "Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one's own self!—can't be my disciple. Anyone who won't shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can't be my disciple.
28-30"Is there anyone here who, planning to build a new house, doesn't first sit down and figure the cost so you'll know if you can complete it? If you only get the foundation laid and then run out of money, you're going to look pretty foolish. Everyone passing by will poke fun at you: 'He started something he couldn't finish.'

31-32"Or can you imagine a king going into battle against another king without first deciding whether it is possible with his ten thousand troops to face the twenty thousand troops of the other? And if he decides he can't, won't he send an emissary and work out a truce?

33"Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple.

34"Salt is excellent. But if the salt goes flat, it's useless, good for nothing.

I believe that with every thing I've got that this first section of scripture is talking about personal accountability. More than anything, I am first responsible for letting go of my life, my own moral character, and devoting and submitting my whole being to relationship and followership of Jesus Christ. (I probably made the word "followership" up, but just go with me.)  I believe that this isn't the top priority of my life, but the ONLY priority of my life. All others things flow out of the blessing that is Knowing the One True God and Jesus Christ who He sent.

Now, as my Pastor always says...Do not check your brain at the door, but expectantly ask questions of God. In this next section starting in VS. 28 it talks about weighing the cost of building. If we are to truly build our whole lives around and on top of the foundation of knowing Christ than we must weigh our cost. 

For me personally this means a lot of things, because I work at a church and am training to become a Pastor. Does it mean that I am set even further apart then those that I lead? For this conversation I leave that question up to you. For the sake of this post I will suggest a few costs that I have taken to live my life as best I know how in obedience to God's will. Here are a few bullet points:
  • Drinking alcoholic beverages in public (Its also hard to purchase from the grocery store, since that is public) I do this for the sake of my friend struggling with alcohol, so he can know there is full life outside of drinking adult beverages. I know because this used to be a major struggle in my life!
  • Sexual Purity - I have currently never had sex outside of the marriage bed! Let me also say that since coming to accept Jesus as Savior and Lord has also meant that His blood has been sufficient for covering over a multitude of sins in this area, prior to relationship with Him. If His forgiveness and covering is sufficient for me, it is sufficient for you. As Jesus said to the woman caught in the act of adultery, "Where are your accusers?" "Not here" she responds. Jesus says, "Then neither to do I accuse you, but go and sin no more!" Please tell me if the world you live in can muster up that kind of forgiveness. 
  • Financial First Fruits - I have committed to bringing God the very best of my earnings. The first 10% of my income (pre-tax) is scheduled to always be withdrawn to go to the local body of Christ to where I belong. For me, I share my tithe with the ministries and mission of Lake Hills Church. I share this with them, because this is where I love, but more importantly because this is where I am loved! 
You are probably asking yourself, Dan, there are a whole lot of passages of scripture that deal directly with what you just pointed out. Yes, but today through Jesus' teachings (often in parables) I discovered indirectly who God has convicted me to be and what I am to do to honor, glorify, and make His name famous. 

If you are reading this blog:
May you become a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ and may you be set free in doing so! What I have described today are a few ways in which Jesus has called all believers to participate in His Kingdom here on this earth!

0 comments: